Sugar is getting a really bad reputation these days. Some of that bad rep is justified and some of it is not. Let’s break down the facts. Sugar is like gasoline to your brain. In fact, of everything you eat, a whopping 50% of the sugar you eat is used up just by your brain. Of all the organs in your body, your brain uses the most sugar. That’s why we love sugar.
Your brain NEEDS sugar. That sugar is running an electrical system in your brain that has enough power to light a light bulb.
But just like gasoline and your car engine, too much gasoline can destroy the engine. And the big concern right now is we are getting too much sugar from ADDED sugar. This is sugar that is not normally found in foods but is added later in the processing of food. Think of an apple vs. a can of soda.
The apple is natural sugar and the can of soda has a lot of added sugar. But what about foods that we think of as healthy but are loaded with added sugar? We are talking about sugar that is snuck into food during the manufacturing process. And too much added sugar is very dangerous for our brain and body.
Some quick facts:
– Americans eat about 20 teaspoons of sugar a day.
– Should be more like 6 tsps (25 g) for women, 9 tsps (38 g) for men.
– One can of soda is almost 10 tsps!
Without further adieu…..
Here are 3 foods that sound healthy but can have TOO MUCH ADDED SUGAR…and better choices:
1. Granola Bars: Some granola bars are very healthy but some have tons of added sugar. Check the label and look for sneaky added sugar disguised as brown sugar, corn syrup, honey, fructose and dextrose.
2. Flavored Yogurt: Flavored yogurts can be loaded with added sugar. A better choice is plain yogurt with fresh fruit.
3. Instant Oatmeal: Oatmeal can be VERY healthy, but the flavored instant oatmeal has 10 to 15 grams of sugar per packet. A better choice is unsweetened, plain oatmeal that you can add cinnamon or nuts to.
Stay tuned for upcoming “Doses of Science” that cover the latest science to improve daily life!